Saturday, January 27, 2007

Week Four, Bonus Review

The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby
Wow! I cannot tell you how much I have been enjoying this author. This is the second book (Songbook being the first) I have read by Hornby and he once again did not disappoint me. If you have seen the movies High Fidelity, Fever Pitch and/or About a Boy then you have already been exposed to the storytelling of this modern British author. I usually do not read books that a movie was based on after I have seen the movie, but I think that after my last two reads of Hornby I just might give it a whirl.


Review: The Polysyllabic Spree is a collection of fourteen months of book review columns he wrote for "Believer" magazine. http://www.believermag.com/ I was initially drawn to this book because 1) I am obsessed with buying books and 2) I read only about half the books I buy. I felt as I read this book that Hornby knew me personally and felt my pain. The main reason I have started this blog is not only to read a book a week, but also to read books that have been stacked all around the house, that I have recently purchased and probably wouldn't have read without a little push. In Spree each entry is formatted with a list of books Hornby purchased for the month and then a list of actual books he read, whether finished or entertained. The summary for his monthly quest is full of dry wit and pure honesty. I highly suggest this book to anyone who loves to surround themselves in books.