Thursday, April 19, 2007

Brendan Kennelly

about the poet: Brendan Kennelly is a celebrated figure among his own countrymen, almost as much so as Nobel Prize winner Seamus Heaney. Kennelly is not only a poet, he is also Professor of Modern Literature at Dublin's venerable Trinity college. However, it is not so much Kennelly's literary standing as his frequent exposure in the media which accounts for his nationwide popularity: Hardly a day goes by without some mention of him in the columns of the tabloid press.
Poetry International Web
I personally have never heard of him, but love Heaney, so I gave him a read. Below is one of his older poems. Enjoy!


CROW
from The Singing Tree
When I croak
I half-lift one wing.
Not bad for a tarry black laughed-at thing.
It's as near as I get to harmony.
Who are you
and what do you think you do
when you sing?

interesting article: @U2: U2 Connections - Brendan Kennelly