Saturday, April 28, 2007

Week Seventeen, Book Twenty

by Frances Temple

Review: The setting is elaborate as the book takes place in 1991 in the city of Port-Au-Prince, when people were trying to attain a democracy and end the dictatorship of Jean-Claude Duvalier who named himself president for life and hired Macoutes. I started this book earlier in the week and have been plowing away at it ever since. I felt like I needed to finish it last night before bed and am glad I did. It was not one of my favorite books involving Haiti, but it was good none the less. I would not recommend it to my students, since it was a little on the confusing side. I thought it would have been a possible choice for the immigration unit that we are considering for next year, but they do not immigrate, so that is out. My next weekly book will probably be something quick and fun, since my spring break is officially over tomorrow.