Friday, June 29, 2007

Week Twenty Six, Book Thirty Seven

by William Gibson
Review:
Although I haven't read/taught this book in at least five years, I did not forget how inspiring a story it is. I listened to it on cassette today, while I cleaned my basement and it made the task seem effortless. Thinking about the story, I realized that this is really a story about "teaching". A must read for all. I am looking forward to watching the two film versions I borrowed from the library and acting it out next school year.

film versions:
The Miracle Worker by Anne Bancroft, Victor Jory, Inga Swenson, and Andrew Prine
The Miracle Worker by Hallie Kate Eisenberg, Alison Elliott, David Strathairn, and Lucas Black (II)


It appeared on Broadway during the 1959-60 dramatic season, was made into a motion picture a couple of years later, and then was remade as a television movie for the 1979-80 season. The plays genesis lies in the real story of Helen Keller (1880-1968), the woman who was struck deaf and blind by illness at the age of 19 months. "The Miracle Worker" tells how a young Helen was led out of her prison of silence and darkness by the remarkable Anne Sullivan, who set out to teach the girl sign language.