Sunday, June 10, 2007

Week Twenty Three, Book Thirty One

by Jhumpa Lahiri
"ON A STICKY AUGUST EVENING two weeks before her due date, Ashima Ganguli stands in the kitchen of a Central Square apartment, combining Rice Krispies..."


Review: I actually did not read this book, but listened to it on CD and am glad I did. It was great to hear this story out loud with all the accents and names pronounced correctly. I loved this story and cannot wait to see the movie. A woman I work with said that the movie is worth seeing and she loved them both, which I think is a rare thing. The story takes place mostly in the United States with some scenes in India. It sort of reminded me of a book Amy Tan would write. Lahiri takes you on a voyage through the life and times of one Bengali family and nothing is predictable. I was not only shocked by the ending, but mad at one character in particular. I fell in love with this story from the beginning and hold it as one of the best books I have heard aloud as well as one of the best I have experienced this year. A must read for all.