Saturday, July 14, 2007

Week Twenty Eight, Book Forty

by James McBride
Review:
I am currently reading a few books that may be possible Literature Circle ( Welcome to LiteratureCircles.com) selections for my 8th grade English class and this one made the list. If we decide to use this book it would be for the honors classes, since this is not a teen book, but an adult memoir. This is not a new book by any means, but has just been re released in it's 10th Anniversary Edition. The story is an interesting mix told by two narrators. The author and his mother alternate chapters telling their story of growing up in a very non traditional way. James is an African American and Ruth is a White Jewish woman from the South. This topic drew me in immediately and the stories only got better as the book progressed. I found myself flying through chapters because I wanted to know what happened to the characters from the previous chapters. I recommend this to anyone. Definitely a great read and a touching family story.


Check out these sites, especially the one on the author who by the way is also a musician.
SparkNotes: The Color of Water
ReadingGroupGuides.com - The Color of Water by James McBride
Penguin Reading Guides The Color of Water James McBride
James McBride