Thursday, August 30, 2007

Week Thirty Five, Book Forty Seven

by Ian McEwan


Review:
Yes, another Ian McEwan book I have read. Why? I cannot put into words how awesome of a writer I truly believe he is and will continue to be. I am falling more and more in love with his poetics every time I pick up his books. It is funny, I am actually in the middle of a mystery, that I am struggling to finish and I knew that I would not have a book read for this week, so I picked up The Comfort of Strangers on a whim. Needless to say, I read it in two days and probably could have read it in one evening. The setting is Europe and all clues point to Venice, but never confirmed to you the reader. Mary and Colin are on holiday away from her kids and a pretty bland life in the states. While out on the town, the two run into a local man who befriends them and becomes the "stranger" in this gothic tale. You cannot imagine what happens next. I think I can safely say that McEwan is becoming my favorite author of all time. Wow, please forgive me Mr. Vonnegut and Mr. Twain. Below is an interview with McEwan about his childhood that I found fascinating, he also briefly talks about On Chesil Beach and the movie version of Atonement. Enjoy!