Sunday, September 23, 2007

Week Thirty Eight, Book Fifty

Wow! I made it to 50 books! The year is not over yet, so stay tuned for the next few weeks left of 2007's "A Book A Week".
Poste Restante
by Derek White
"Poste Restante (literally, 'post remaining' or 'residual mail') is an ad hoc destination for mail sent to recipients who are just passing through a place they do not permanently reside. It's what you say when you don't have a place you call "home"."
-taken from the "For/Word Post" in Poste Restante

Review:
I went to the Brooklyn Book Festival a week ago and met Derek White, founder of Calamari Press and creator of Sleepingfish magazine. He also keeps a blog called
5¢ense. At the time, I did not realize that Derek was part of this huge independent literary text and art book object family called Calamari Press. So to say I am glad I stopped by his table is an understatement. I purchased three books from their catalog: Sleepingfish issue 0.9375, The Singing Fish by Peter Markus and Poste Restante by Derek White. I just finished Poste Restante today and found myself wishing it was longer. I have been reading full length novels lately with the exception of my school/teaching required reading, so to read a little Flash Fiction felt good. At least I think that is what you would call this style of writing, but I could be wrong. The image fragments or postcards connected to each story really were put together nicely and reminded me of this art form that I recently have become interested in involving artists' journals and sketchbooks. Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages by Lynne Perrella is a great starter book on the form and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to create spectacular journals. As I was reading this collection of "postcards sent from the subconscious", I myself was experiencing more intense dreams and was capable of remembering most of them, which does not always happen often for me. I have not kept a notebook of my dreams in years, so I started again, hoping to wake in the middle of the night and jot down any that seemed worth recapping. Thank you Mr. White for not only a contagious read, but for the beautiful imagery that goes along with all good writing. Look to this blog for future reviews of Calamari Press releases.
sites to check out: