Monday, September 10, 2007

Week Thirty Six, Book Forty Eight

by Yrsa Sigurdardottir
(Hardcover - Oct 1, 2007)
Review:
I picked this book up a few weeks ago, but only skimmed the first chapter and quickly put it down. Since school started last week, I knew I had to give this book another try and plow through to hit my mark of one book a week. Hooray, I did it, even with a busy week and busier weekend. The story takes place in Iceland and all the characters have strange names, that I couldn't pronounce even with a pronunciation key. I found this story impossible to put down, with all the elements of a great mystery weaved throughout the book. The two investigating the murder were a perfect duo that you rooted for from beginning to end. A must read for anyone who loves books set in far off lands and can handle a dark and gritty tale. Imagine Agatha Christie meeting Dan Brown. Sigurdardottir's sure to be a big hit in this genre and I look forward to reading more of her work. She is the winning author of five children's novels, so this was very different from her usual style. Look for the book to come out in hardcover this October.
Yrsa sale sets new record: http://www.verold.is/yrsa.asp