Saturday, December 1, 2007

Week Forty Eight, Book Sixty Four

Jonathan Lethem
Review:
Pella Marsh is 13 when her mother dies and her family; father, Clement, and her two younger brothers leave Brooklyn and strive for a better life on the planet of the Archbuilders. The Archbuilders are double-jointed creatures with bodies of fur, shell and leathery skin, who had once built a great civilization but have since fallen into a kind of lethargy. Their planet is a parched wonderland of crumbled towers and archways, a place where tiny giraffelike creatures called household deer skitter and scamper across the plains and in the corners of people's houses, like mice. I am not at all a science fiction fan or have ever read any of Lethem's books before, but after hearing him speak this Fall at the Brooklyn Book Festival, I knew I had to check out some of his work. This story reminded me of a lot of Ray Bradbury and Kurt Vonnegut pieces, which I loved, because they are two of my favorites. Although, Lethem writes in many different genres, I am aware that this is just a taste of his science fiction side. I absolutely loved this book and would recommend it to anyone.


Read the Powells.com Interview with Jonathan Lethem
Read the INK Q&A with Jonathan Lethem
More Books by Jonathan Lethem