Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Kelly Link

&
Magic for Beginners
by Kelly Link


Review:
These two books have been calling my name for some time now and I finally got my hands on a copy of each. Each collection of short stories by Link are laugh out loud funny and shockingly odd. To say that Link's writing is strange, scary and charming is an understatement. Her style is also surreal (dream/nightmare like) and dazzling. The stories are one great journey after another and I found some of the themes and symbols spinning around in my head for days. I approached the reading of these two books simultaneously. It was fun bouncing back and forth and hard to say which collection I liked the best. It is amazing how long it has taken me to finally dive in to Link's work and now I feel like I can not get enough of her. I highly recommend grabbing both of these books and checking out the links below for more on this very unique and entertaining storyteller.

read "Light" online: www.tinhouse.com/mag/issue33/current_feature.htm
visit her site: www.kellylink.net/