Monday, January 28, 2008

The Road

by Cormac McCarthy
Review:
Last week I went to see No Country For Old Men and realized I have never read a Cormac McCarthy book. This is weird with all the hype around him this last year I have only seen All The Pretty Horses and now No Country..., but never physically read any of his work. I decided to pick up, thanks to Oprah, one of his most talked about books. This novel was very bleak and dark, but not horrific or surprising. It slightly reminded me of a Stephen King novel (The Stand) or one King would write. Sorry to say this story was not really my "cup of tea". I don't know if it was the build up to the book or the plot. I rarely read books that Oprah recommends and if I happen to dive into one, it is usually way after the hype. Needless to say, I am glad I tackled this body of work and will maybe even look in to other books by McCarthy. Sometimes it is nice to read outside of your comfort zone and I am glad I did this time. If anyone can suggest another book by McCarthy to read, I would greatly appreciate any feedback.