Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Almost Moon

by Alice Sebold
Review:
This is my first Alice Sebold novel and hopefully not my last. I know everyone and their mother has read The Lovely Bones , so I guess that will be my next book being that she only has three novels. This book was slightly disturbing and also predictable. It starts off with a bang and ends with a sigh. The narrator, Helen kills her mother and spends the next 24 hours trying to justify and come to grips with her decision. As a woman who has spent her whole life surrounded by lies, she feels she needs to come to closure with the reality of her family history/secrets and freely face the future ahead. Overall, this was a dark, twisted story that had a raw and slightly happy ending. Check out an excerpt from the book and the author's website below.
Chapter Excerpt: The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold
http://www.alicesebold.com/