Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Field Guide

by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi
"If someone had asked Jared Grace what jobs his brother and sister would have when they grew up, he would have had no trouble replying..."
Review:
This is the first book in a series of five that introduces us to the Grace children. Mallory is a 13 year old with twin 9 year old siblings Jared and Simon, who move with their mother into the dilapidated Spiderwick Estate. They soon find their great- great uncle Spiderwick's secret library and Field Guide, which sends imaginations running wild and a new adventure begins to unfold. I don't usually read fantasy, but since this series was recently released as a movie, I thought it might be worth a try. I actually became interested in the books because of the horrible reviews that the movie received. It seems that whenever this happens the book is much better than the film. So, this week I read the first two books in this series and loved them both. Since the movie, the books are hard to find in the library. I ran over to the library today and put my name on the waiting list for the third book. I plan on reading the whole series, so look for more reviews in the next few weeks.
series website: http://www.spiderwick.com/