Thursday, March 27, 2008

Good, Brother

by Peter Markus

Review:
This is the second Peter Markus book that I've read out of Calamari Press and a great choice indeed. Markus's stories are so chaotic, yet they seem to hypnotize you into tranquility. In his book The Singing Fish, I felt his use of the words mud, man, river and boy were so uniquely woven together that there was nowhere an author could go with these images ever again. Alas, in Good, Brother , he has proven my theory wrong. I love the addition of Girl as a major player in this collection and the blossoming of the relationship between boy and girl. I have a suspicion that influences are biblical, especially his familial interpretations. His style is really unique and incredibly Gothic in theme. Overall, this book is a quick, punch in the gut read and if you haven't read anything by Markus, this is a great one to start with.

*Dirty River Town and Mister Higgerson are the key phrases that Amazon.com has listed under the title and author. I love it!
a short movie based on the story:www.5cense.com/Good_Brother_movie.htm

more sites with Good, Brother:
Typo Magazine 3: Good, Brother — Peter Markus
litrag #12