Saturday, March 22, 2008

Johnny Cash

Review:
"Hello, I'm Johnny Cash." These words echoed in my head as I read this biography about the famous "man in black". A fast and short read, but a pleasurable one indeed. Although this book is intended for a younger audience, I still found it was a thorough and true depiction of Cash's struggles with fame, drugs and the law. Cash was a performer all the way to the end and an influence to so many musicians out today. He really changed the face of country music forever. A few years ago, everyone was on the Cash roller coaster when the movie "Walk the Line" came out and received rave reviews and a few Oscars. Like everyone else, I really started to take an interest in Cash and payed more attention to his music. This book fills in the gaps from that film and actually inspired me to check out some of his albums that I have not yet heard. I think the most amazing fact about him is that he is the only musician ever to be inducted into three halls of fame; Country Music, Rock and Roll, and Songwriters. This is a great little read and I recommend it to any music lover.
You have to check out this website for some real good audio and video footage. http://www.johnnycash.com/