Friday, April 4, 2008

Peony In Love

by Lisa See
Review:
This is a coming-of-age story, ghost story and a family saga set in 17th-century China. I wasn't too thrilled about reading this book based on the inside flap. The book club that I am in, read this for the month of March, so I decided instead of bailing, I would listen to it during my morning commute. I enjoyed the various accents and think that this was one of the better recorded books I have heard. Today we met and chatted for almost two hours about the story, modern day China and the role that woman play in society in general. I have to say as much as I disliked this book, I loved it! The family dynamics and rituals that the Chinese hold true to are so unconventional for a westerner. There is a story within a story here, that makes you question a lot that is going on and reality and fantasy begin to blend beautifully. We agreed overall, that the author's note should have been in the beginning and that the story really made more sense when you finally read this part. This story is full of rich Chinese history, as well as culture. Although, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel is See's most popular novel, I still suggest you try this one if you are into realistic fiction with a splash of spiritual, ritualistic fantasy.

Reading Group Guide: www.readinggroupguides.com/guides_P/peony_in_love1.asp
Author Website: www.lisasee.com/