Sunday, April 6, 2008

What books mean to me or my life with Joseph Conrad.

by John Stape
*I haven't read anything by Conrad since collage, so when I came across this review a flood of memories came crashing down on me. I think I hated Conrad, yet grew to love him by the end of my college career. In my lifetime, I have loaned out many a book and borrowed even more, but for some reason whenever I see a copy of Conrad's Heart of Darkness, I miss the dogeared highlighted copy that I never retrieved back from a high school/college friend, Lisa. Funny enough, I lent her the book and a thin booklet that explained the book in detail, but can not recall if she returned the books or if they are still somewhere in space. It is the only memory I connect with Conrad, which is sad, due to the fact that he is one of the greatest writers of 20th- century literature. It is funny how books play such a strange role in our lives and it amuses me when someone says that they never have time to read. If you want/love/need to read, you will always find the time.