Thursday, May 15, 2008

Tao Lin

you are a little bit happier than i am
Review:
I just finished reading, in two small sittings, this surprisingly entertaining collection of poetry from Lin. Not sure what to make from his autobiographical style. I realized that this was more of a grouping of everyday conversations one has with themselves, than a traditional book of poems. Simple phrases, extremely long titles and bursts of yelling really made this piece a nice sampling of Lin's work. His "voice" really resonates throughout, which is at first a bit unsettling, but then becomes "a breath of fresh air". Overall, this is my first experience with Lin's work and not my last. I am currently reading, Bed, a set of nine pseudo-autobiographical stories and laughing even more now than when I was tackling you are a little bit happier than i am.


author event:
'cognitive-behavioral therapy' 'launch party'
Thursday, May 15, 7 p.m.
(145 Plymouth Street, NY)


great sites to check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_lin
http://reader-of-depressing-books.blogspot.com/
YouTube - Tao Lin @ KGB
www.actionbooks.org/author-pages/lin.html