Monday, July 21, 2008

Eudora Welty


 by Eudora Welty
The story and its analyses are not mirror-opposites of each other. They are not reflections, either one. Criticism indeed is an art, as a story is, but only the story is to some degree a vision; there is no explanation outside fiction for what the writer is learning to do.
—Eudora Welty, "On Writing"
Review:
"Listening", "Learning To See" and "Finding A Voice" are the three small sections that make up Welty's memoir, One Writer's Beginnings.  Even though, this book is only 100 pages long, it is extremely rich with detail and advice for writer's of all ages and levels. 

You're probably wondering why I would pick this book up? Well, last week, I took a writer's workshop and this was one of the options for required reading. Although, not one person in the class chose this book, I myself am so glad that I read this book, because her stories not only spoke to me, but helped trigger ideas for a few short stories I worked on throughout the week. 

Besides the story line, I loved the old photos in the middle and her style of storytelling. This is not your typical autobiography, but a must read for Welty fans. Overall a beautiful book!

sites: