Saturday, August 30, 2008

One Story: "Bar Joke, Arizona"


"Bar Joke, Arizona"
by Sam Allingham
Review:

I’ve been submerging myself with a wonderful source of short fiction: One Story. A non-profit literary magazine, One Story publishes one story at a time in a print format small enough to fit into a small bag or purse. I often find myself toting them around on a train or bus ride. The stories are between 3,000 and 8,000 words long, and so most can be read in one sitting. I have yet to need more than one sitting to complete a story. I have to admit, I'm not a subscriber, but already I’ve enjoyed stories ranging from the strangely hilarious Bar Joke, Arizona by Sam Allingham to Owen Hill's "The Cure". Subscription and submission information can be found at the One Story website as well as other great features including interviews with writers, news of reading events, and reader discussions. Enjoy!