Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hole in My Life

by Jack Gantos
Review:
Jack Gantos is known for writing semi-autobiographical stories, picture books and novels for children. He has written over thirty books for young people and was a National Book Award finalist. In Hole in My Life, Gantos relates how as a young adult, he became a drug user and smuggler. He was arrested, did time in prison, and eventually got out and went to college. The whole time he was living a life of adventure, he yearned to be a writer.

I loved this book for its honesty and voice. Originally, I thought it would be great to recommend to a middle school student, but after finishing, I realize there are some scenes that are more appropriate for a well read high schooler. Some of the literary references, would be most appreciated by adult readers and especially huge classic literature fans.