Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Why do we care what other people are reading?


A few weeks ago I was in an independent bookstore in Austin, Texas and a local man asked the man behind the counter if he had read the book that our president, Barak Obama was currently reading. Why do we know or care what book Mr. Obama is reading? I tried to read this so called great book and thought it was unreadable. At first I thought, maybe I don’t get it, maybe I am missing something major metaphorically and should just abandon it now and guess what, I did. There are so many other books out there that grab my attention immediately and I cannot put them down, so why settle? I was relieved when the gentlemen in the book store had the same reaction I did and had the courage to voice their opinion. I was actually shocked knowing how liberal Austin supposedly is and being in an independent book store, I thought for sure this is going to be one of those moments when everyone jumps up and down holding hands praising Obama and how fabulous it is that he is reading this soon to be classic piece of literature. Boy, was I wrong. Overall, people still care what other people are reading, even if it happens to be a book that they themselves would never pick up. Happy reading!