A HUGE thank you to those of you that have responded to this already.
I want to remind you to a Dzanc Books' project coming up and hope that you might find the program worth participating in - our second annual Write-a-Thon. Last year we had a few dozen writers participate, saw a few of the pieces written get published, raised over $7000, and had one writer create a video showing her own participatory process.
As you may know, Dzanc Books is a non-profit organization, established to not only publish great books, but to work nationally in set communities to provide writing workshops and year round programs for students and adults alike. These programs include our Dzanc Writer in Residency Programs, The Dzanc Prize, the Dzanc Creative Writing Sesions, author readings, single session and weekly session workshops which function in a slightly different capacity than our year-round DWIRPS.
With the economy still not up to speed, traditional means of raising funds - writing grants, corporate sponsorships, etc. - have become less successful. Here at Dzanc, we like to try and make raising money both as fun, and valuable, an experience as possible. With this in mind, last year we came up with an alternative and interactive plan which we believed not only furthered our mission but was something those participating in would enjoy. Based on the feedback we received, we were right.
DZANC BOOKS WRITE-A-THON
The link to this year's write-a-thon can be found here.
The idea behind the write-a-thon will be similar to bowl-a-thons, or walk-a-thons, or, well you get the picture - other a-thons that you've probably supported or participated in during your lifetime, only with writing being the catalyst to the raising of funds. For one day, people will volunteer to write to help raise money, and they will ask people to fill out a donation sheet to support their efforts.
1. Thursday, December 17 thorugh Sunday December 20, 2009.
2. Dzanc Books will provide a donation request email for those authors participating.
3. Your sponsors will be able to make donation pledges through our website via Paypal, or if they prefer to donate by check, an address will be provided. We will provide the sponsors with a tax receipt immediately this year - last year we used a mass emailing method after the event was over, and heard from some people well after the fact that they did not receive that email, so we will not use that same plan this year.
4. The mornings of the 17th through the 20th, we will send out a prompt or topic, and will post it on our website. Writers will then spend the day writing stories, or poems, or essays, using that prompt or topic (this will give those sponsoring an understanding that the work done was all done on during the write-a-thon dates).
5. Those donating will be sent proof of your participation via email. We will send out the proof of participation notices beginning on Monday the 21st.
Our goal for this event, considering there are over 2000 writers in the Emerging Writers Network, is $20,000, or, an average of $10 raised per person. To put this in a proper context, that would pay for just under 3 full Dzanc Writer in Residence Programs, or the Dzanc Prize plus approximately 2 full DWIRPs. We will obviously be thrilled to find out after the fact that we were shortchanging ourselves with that goal. We do hope each and every member of EWN, and those who have become fans of Dzanc, will participate in our inaugural Write-A-Thon.
Your support means everything to us. We at Dzanc are truly trying to make a contribution through our charity programs and the works we publish, and while we are dedicated and diligent and will not fail in our intent, without your support, our efforts become increasingly difficult. We thank you in advance for joining us in our Write-A-Thon and your continual support of our programs and authors.
Again, for those that wish to participate, or those who wish to donate but do not know of any writers that will be participating, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dzanc Books will also be giving a set of our Dzanc 2009 titles (from Mike Czyzniejewski's story collection through Laura van den Berg's collection) to the writer that raises the most money.