Friday, January 1, 2010

"So ugly, worth nuffin."

"Sometimes I wish I was not alive," Precious says. "But I don't know how to die. Ain' no plug to pull out. 'N no matter how bad I feel my heart don't stop beating and my eyes open in the morning."


Precious

by Sapphire


Precious (Push Movie Tie-in Edition) (Vintage Contemporaries)

Book Twenty-Five

Review:

I was skeptical about reading this book, especially around the holidays, when all people want to do is feel good, eat and drink themselves silly, but I am glad I pushed myself to give it a try. A truly disturbing, sad main character, who right from the first page, sucks you in to her world, her chaos and gives you no other choice but to cheer her on. Claireece Precious Jones is abused by her mother, raped by her father and barely has a chance at life. She grows up on welfare, angry, illiterate, fat, unloved and basically nonexistent. Although her story is written in dialect, at times a tough read, you find yourself drawn to the language. If you are brave enough to feel sad, mad and pure hate for humanity, pick up Precious.

Precious is now a major motion picture based on the novel Push by Sapphire, starring Gabourey 'Gabby' Sidibe, Mo'Nique, Paula Patton, Mariah Carey, and Lenny Kravitz.