Sunday, April 15, 2012

Interview with Monica Leonelle



Is there any special method to your writing?
Yes! I write about it on Prose on Fire. Here's the link about writing 900-1200 words per hour: http://proseonfire.com/post/18618777174/how-i-consistently-write-900-1200-words-per-hour

How many hours a day do you spend reading/writing?
Probably 2-5 hours writing. Reading is a different story... I feel like I'm always reading.

What inspires you to continue being a writer?
I feel like I mostly write because I can't help it. I love to write and that's how I express myself, day in and day out. I can never understand how people want to be writers or authors when they don't write. I always think, "Then why aren't you writing every day?" I organically average at least 2,000 words a day writing. When I'm finishing up a manuscript, I average closer to 5,000 words a day. This is just what I do, so I never believe people who say they're going to write something but just don't have the time.

If you could have been the author of any novel, which title would it be and why?
I would never want to be the author of a different novel because then I wouldn't be able to read and enjoy it!

Do you think you will ever change audiences?
I'm currently outlining a serialized fiction story that features a large cast of all ages (similar to Game of Thrones). But I doubt I'll ever grow out of the young adult genre. I'm 28 and haven't managed to yet!

What advice would you give anyone who wants to become a published author?
Patience! It's not just for would-be authors, but also for authors. And also for myself :). I want to speed things along whenever I can, but books are a slow business.

And do you have a list of favorite books/authors?
I have tons. My favorite book from the last year is Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare. It's so romantic and lovely and sweet. It's actually the second book in the Infernal Devices, so start with the first one, Clockwork Angel.