Monday, July 16, 2012

An Interview with Charly Fasano



Is there any special method to your writing?
I don't usually have any method to my writing. I sit and write as much as I can. When I reach a point that I can't write anymore I usually put down what ever I am working on and start on the visual aspect of the writing. Lately, I've been illustrating my poems with linocut prints. I have also dabbled around with film and self producing recordings of stories/poems accompanied with music. It all starts with the poem in some form or another and then I explore other ways of telling the story through film, music and block printing. I want the reader to be able to "walk through" the poems by presenting them with a multimedia experience. With my new book of poems "Excuse Me, I Think You Dropped Your Dreams" I've been able to tie together the read, watched, and listened aspects of my art through the use of QR Codes that the reader scans with a "smart phone" to gain access to films, slideshows and recordings. I guess the method is keeping busy.


How many hours a day do you spend reading/writing?
I am always doing something that is related to my writing. I would say that watching and listening to what is going on around me, whether I am riding the bus or sitting at a bar, is always part of writing  When I finish a project I always take  time off to read poetry and flip through art books and websites. I find going on walks and taking black and white pictures frames up the world in a certain way that serves as inspirations for a lot of ideas.  


What inspires you to continue being a writer? 
Writing is what makes me go. Being a story teller/poet gives me the opportunity to engage with people at every angle. Sharing my story or my persona's story, observations and version of life makes me understand the human condition. It gives me an opportunity to relate to people through observation. It gives me time to laugh at a really dysfunctional world.  


If you could have been the author of any novel, which title would it be and why? 
Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson because it is recklessly poetic and tragic. The film is great as well.



Do you think you will ever change audiences? 
I think I am still at the point where I am still trying to find an audience. I like to do readings in all different kinds of situations. I will read on any stage or sidewalk where there is an opportunity to share my stories.  I have recorded with every kind of rock and roll and indie band. I always read at concerts, galleries, parties, coffee shops, record stores, clothing boutiques and tattoo shops around Denver and around the country. I guess I want everybody to enjoy what I do so I make every effort to read whenever I can. Kind of idealist but that's how I feel. Whoever reads my books or watches my films is none of my business.



What advice would you give anyone who wants to become a published author? 
Work as hard as you can as much as you can. Always work at becoming a better writer. We all can be better. Always realize that the big story never ends and that a writer of any genre has to observe what is going on around them. Watching is learning and writing. Ideas are everywhere.


Favorite Books right now
Novels:
Turning Failure Into Ideology by Brian Polk
Taft 2012 by Jason Heller
Poetry:
Open Letter (To Dark Gods of the Ancient World) by Jason Ryberg
Cue the Bedlam (More Desperate with Longing Than Want of Air) by Mark Hennessy
Further Down Road by John Franklin Dandridge