Sunday, February 25, 2007

Illustrated Book

Auggie Wren's Christmas Story by Paul Auster and Isol


Review: This is not your typical holiday story and what a relief, since it is February and I felt the need to pick up a Christmas fable. The story takes place around Christmas time at a cigar shop in Brooklyn. It starts off with a dilemma. A writer has been asked by The New York Times to write a story that will appear in the paper on Christmas morning. And the result is a story involving a lost wallet, a blind woman and a Christmas dinner.

This illustrated book is only 37 pages long, but a fun read nonetheless. I happened to come upon this when I was doing some research yesterday in the local library on my latest author, whom I'm obsessing over. I found that he has not only written a ton of novels, nonfiction and poetry, but he wrote a few screenplays. The one that stood out for me was the movie Smoke, starring Harvey Keitel and William Hurt . Which led me to remember another movie that I loved, the follow up to Smoke called Blue in the Face, starring Michael J. Fox and Roseanne.If I recall both movies have great soundtracks.
(click for links) Smoke and Blue in the Face