Friday, May 11, 2007

Don DeLillo

by Don DeLillo
I just picked up a used copy of White Noise, by DeLillo at the library roughly two weeks ago and have been debating on whether I should reread it. I think after I get through my book club selection for our June meeting I may tackle it again. I read a lot of DeLillo in college and haven't picked him up since. He is releasing in hardcover the above book on May 15th, so if you haven't read anything by him, I suggest you do not start with this one and seek out some of his earlier work. You can reserve a copy today and read more about DeLillo at: http://www.bordersstores.com/.
Description:
There is September 11 and then there are the days after, and finally the years.

An Excerpt from Chapter One:
It was not a street anymore but a world, a time and space of falling ash and near night. He was walking north through rubble and mud and there were people running past holding towels to their faces or jackets over their heads. They had handkerchiefs pressed to their mouths. They had shoes in their hands, a woman with a shoe in each hand, running past him. They ran and fell, some of them, confused and ungainly, with debris coming down around them, and there were people taking shelter under cars.