Friday, May 4, 2007

Week Eighteen, Book Twenty Three

by Brian Selznick
Paris in the 1930's, a thief, a broken machine, a strange girl, a mean old man, and the secrets that tie them all together... Welcome to The Invention of Hugo Cabret.
Review: I am not usually a fan of historical fiction, but this story was beyond your typical h.f. novel. Calling this story historical fiction is really selling it short. In my opinion, I think it can also be considered fantasy. I am not one to read fantasy either and for me to love this book from start to finish, it must be worth a read for the fantasy lover too. After I read one nights worth of this book, I ran into my librarian at school and recommended she buy a copy for our collection. I think my students will love this style of storytelling. The illustrations alone are reason enough for picking up this book. Selznick intricately places drawings throughout the book to help move the story along, not to accent the written text. I felt like I was reading two books in one. A definite page turner and a must read for all. I read this book in three sittings and probably could have finished it in one. My reason for trying out this book was due to all the reviews I recently have seen and found out that sometimes the reviews are right. You will not be disappointed.

sites to check out after you read this book:
The Story of the Automaton: http://fi.edu/pieces/knox/automaton/
The Missing Link: http://www.missinglinkclassichorror.co.uk/index.htm