Friday, May 11, 2007

Week Nineteen, Book Twenty Four

by S. E. Hinton
Review:
This book, which was written in the 1960's, may have well been written today. It describes the many conflicts between gangs, social groups, family violence, and friends. My 7th graders are reading this in class, so I had to reread it this week. I listened to it on tape last week in the car and read the text this week. I think this is the perfect book for young teens and I am so happy I had the pleasure of teaching it this year. The kids love the storyline and there are so many themes that they can relate to, which makes it a breeze to teach. If you haven't read this book and are looking for an upbeat look at teen life, look no further. In a few weeks I plan on showing the movie, which is really going to be a major flashback for me. I remember being at sleep over parties and looking forward to watching "The Outsiders" with friends and gushing over the male stars. This was during the time when we hung pictures of celebrities on our bedroom walls and school lockers and begged our parents to take us to the mall. Oh, those were the days!