Saturday, June 16, 2007

Week Twenty Four, Book Thirty Five

by Sherman Alexie
Review:
Alexie transfers the experience of alienated, biracial identity to main character, Zits, a half Native/half Irish young teenager who has been through the foster care system numerous times. He never knew his biological father and therefore never felt a sense of himself as Native or Irish, but an ambiguously ethnic "other." This is my first Alexie book, but not my last. I have already been to the library today, after I finished, to see what other ones I can get my hands on and they have three waiting just for me. What a breath of fresh air this style of writing was for me. He uses dry wit and serious dialogue to move the plot along. I guarantee, you will not be able to put this one down and will be begging for more. I am very happy and sad that I found this book. Happy, because now I have a new author to check out, but sad that it took me so long to find him.