Saturday, June 16, 2007

Week Twenty Four, Book Thirty Four

by Lorraine Hansberry and Davis Ossie
Review:
Lorraine Hansberry's award-winning drama about the hopes and aspirations of a struggling, working-class family living on the South Side of Chicago connected profoundly with the psyche of black America--and changed American theater forever. The plays title comes from a line in Langston Hughes's poem "Harlem," which warns that a dream deferred might "dry up/like a raisin in the sun." I have to admit, I haven't read/viewed this play in many years and forgot its powerful message on racial prejudice. After listening to it on audio, I definitely have to rent the film version in order to really get the full impact. While I was listening to the actors, I found myself needing a visual many times in order to see their facial expressions and physical positioning. I cannot wait to see how this play will be received by my students next year. I will hopefully continue this blog and let you all know. Wish me luck!