Saturday, June 16, 2007

Week Twenty Four, Book Thirty Three

(Classics on Cassette)
by John Steinbeck and Gary Sinise
Review:
I almost forgot how sad and heart wrenching this novella truly is. Next school year, I will be teaching 8th grade English, so I am rereading or listening to the novels I will be exploring. It is a great experience to listen to a book you have already read on tape/cd and everyone should try it at least once. Gary Sinise is the reader of this Steinbeck masterpiece and I am actually thinking I may play some parts for my class, since he also is in the film version of the story. This is one of the saddest stories I have ever heard and I cringe at the final scene every time. In the beginning, we meet George and Lennie as they are leaving one migrant job and moving to the next. Early in the book we learn that Lennie is not like everyone else and that George, the tragic hero, is caring for Lennie. I will not tell you anymore, so not to spoil the plot. For those of you who have not read this story, run out and grab a copy immediately. I promise you will view friendship and family in a whole new way.