Sunday, December 16, 2007

Week Fifty, Book Sixty Seven

by Wendy Mass
Review:
Wendy Mass visited my school this week and spoke to the 6th grade students about her life as a writer and the books that she has written for children. Although, I had not read any of her books before, I felt compelled to pick up A Mango-Shaped Space this week and find out for myself why this book appeals to so many girls in my school. I loved this book, mainly because I had never heard of the condition that the main character has before. Synesthesia, which means that the visual cortex in your brain is activated when you hear something. There are many forms of this condition and the main character as a teen struggles to figure out how to deal with the outside world that she for the longest time hid her secret from. This is a great coming of age novel that can be taught in literature classes, because it lends itself to so many themes that teens face everyday. Below is the book that inspired the author to write this work of fiction based on science as well as a few sites for teachers to use for teaching this piece in the classroom. Enjoy!
sites:
book:
by Richard E. Cytowic