Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Week Forty Nine, Book Sixty Six

One Hundred and Forty Five Stories in a Small Box
Sarah Manguso and Dave Eggers and Deb Olin Unferth
Review:
This is a collection of one hundred and forty-five stories in a small box. There are three books in total, each individually foil stamped with the following subtitles: Hard to Admit and Harder to Escape, How the Water Feels to the Fishes, and Minor Robberies. The genre of writing exhibited is considered snap fiction or flash fiction. I really enjoyed chuckling to myself as I read some of these stories, yet was disturbed by most in an unsettling way. I often found myself rereading many of the shorter of the short pieces and loved the second or third reads much more than the first. If I had to put the books in order of preference I would say that the Manguso book would be first, then the Eggers and last the Unferth. If you are looking to buy a quirky book for a friend during the upcoming holidays, this is a great investment from three fun authors and definitely worth the read.