Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Last Book Of 2007

Week Fifty Two, Book Seventy
80 Very Short Stories
by James Thomas and Robert Shapard
Review:
I spoke too soon. I thought that I would end the year on an odd number of books read, but pulled though with an even seventy for the year. Wow! I am so happy that I ended on this one, because the last review was a total downer. I approached this reading in an odd way, that I think is worth sharing. I first read all the stories by female authors, then by names that could be either gender, lastly all male authors. Not really sure why I did this, but it made the book fly when reading in this pattern. Overall, this collection of "flash fiction" stories-aka "short shorts"was amazing.
Here are my top five favorites from this edition:
1. Rumors of Myself, Steve Almond
2. Accident, Dave Eggers
3. How To End Up, Jennifer A. Howard
4. The Doctor, Ann Hood
5. The Kettle, Eva Marie Ginsburg

more flash fiction, short-short stories etc.:
*New Sudden Fiction: Short-Short Stories from America and Beyond
by Robert Shapard and James Thomas
*Fast Forward 1: Future Fiction from the Cutting Edge
by Kage Baker, Stephen Baxter, Elizabeth Bear, and Paul di Filippo
*Flash Fiction: Very Short Stories
by James Thomas
*Micro Fiction: An Anthology of Really Shor...
by Jerome Stern
*Sudden Fiction (Continued): 60 New Short-S...
by Robert Shapard