Monday, December 24, 2007

Week Fifty Two, Book Sixty Nine

by Heather McHugh and David Lehman
Review:
This is the twentieth edition of the Best American Poetry series, which delivers great poems to a broad audience of readers. The introduction and Forward by Heather Mc Hugh and David Lehman were superb. I love whenever anyone discusses Matthew Arnold's "Dover Beach", it is one of the greatest poems ever written and I some day wish to read a book based on that poem alone. Otherwise, I am sorry to say, but I hated this book. In the past year, I have read an array of newly released poetry compilations and this one was by far the worst. It is hard to say exactly why it fell short of being mediocre. Maybe I am better off reading a series of poems by the same author, with a theme or some sort of voice. I am at a loss for words, I usually love poetry. I kind of feel like one of those people who often say, "How can you read poetry?, I just don't get it." Well, I just didn't get it this time either. Believe me, I tried really hard, but this book did not click for me at all. Here are some sites to check out and maybe this is the only good that came from this collection. Amen!
sites: